Friday 8 March 2013

Finalising the little Quilt

The Smallest Quilt

She (yes this one is a she) is finally done and dusted.  I have sewn on the bias binding that I made with my fair hands. 
You can most likely see a cross in the bias fabric on the top edge.
This is where I have folded and ironed the bias where the two ends will meet. (I use an Antex Mini Iron as you can see above the quilts top edge).

With the ends folded like this, the diagonal edge will be less conspicuous than a straight edge. I dont know why it is so, but it works so I stick to it.

I unpinned the entire top edges bias, and sewed the two ends together using the same colour thread as I will use when sewing the bias to the quilt.

After sewing them I trim the ends down to 1/4 and fold outwards. Then I lop off the little triangles that show above the bias seam.
The two ends folded and mini ironed into place to form a neat line as a guide



This shows the edges sewn together




Close up of the sewn edges




My Antex Mini Iron, one thing I wouldnt be without. Not only is it cheaper than the clover iron, it is just as usable, and if you do come across with a problem, no matter how small, they will gladly have yours back for testing and fixing, no charge!

 

Above you can see the Silver making good the seams on the quilt. Not only that though! You can also see my newly manicured nails!!!



Above you can see the binding and decorative stitching to cover the line left over from the bias being sewn down.  I dont worry about invisible stitching as I like to have the decorative stitching all round the quilts as it leaves it with more substance and less likely for any stray edges/seams to unravel!





The above picture shows the quilt in action. The baby is called Annabelle, and can be purchased through most good toy shops ;-)
This quilt will suit a pram, crib, bouncer, moses basket, a Pram crib, or anything of that size.  If you wanted I can put Heatnbond vinyl on one side to make it a change mat and blanket in one. Or I can do a blanket and change mat to match with vinyl on both sides. This of course does add a fair sum to the item as it is currently retailing at £8+ per half metre (23cmx43cm)




No comments:

Post a Comment